Shenzhen, China |
Position: Science Teacher, Grades 6-9
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: ASAP
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary, project-based learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Shenzhen opened in August 2018, our first campus in China. Avenues Shenzhen provides a unique early childhood program, and is now expanding to serve students in all grades from grades from toddler through 12. Avenues Shenzhen furthers Avenues' longstanding commitment to developing multiple campuses in China, providing a transformative, world-focused education.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
At Avenues, science classes are interdisciplinary. Science teachers work closely with teachers of visual art, English, and the World Course to design interdisciplinary, project-based learning experiences. Avenues science teachers ensure that students act as scientists every day: asking questions, conducting investigations in our brand-new labs, and using science to learn about and engage with the world around them. In grades 6-9, we teach a rigorous, project-based curriculum that integrates fundamental concepts and skills from the physical, life, and earth sciences along with introductory robotics and engineering. As an Avenues science teacher, you will:
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes in physical and life sciences, targeting instruction thoughtfully to address diverse individual needs
- Design, implement, and refine project-based learning experiences that give students access to curricular content and skills through authentic, purpose-driven, real-world projects
- Deeply connect with students, colleagues and parents to uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Invoke a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to value being at school and feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
- Find ways to to improve your practice every day by collaborating with your colleagues
WHAT YOU BRING
- A strong science background and at least 3 years of teaching experience in middle or high school science
- Content knowledge in general physical, life, and earth sciences concepts, as well as one or more specialized topics (e.g. astronomy, environmental science, engineering, robotics, computer science, etc.)
- Experience in designing, developing and guiding students through rigorous science-focused and interdisciplinary project-based learning experiences
- Profound commitment to ensuring and nurturing children's wellbeing
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree in education or related field is ideal
- Professional fluency in English; Mandarin Chinese is a plus
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.