São Paulo, Brazil | Secondary Division (São Paulo)
Position: Dean of Students, Grades 6-9 (temporary position)
Location: São Paulo
Start date: March 2022
WHO ARE WE?
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
DEEP COLLABORATION AND CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. No one teaches on an island here. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
An Avenues Dean of Students is an advisor, a teacher, a listener and a primary support person who works with students and parents, both individually and in groups, on educational, social and emotional development needs, life skills, course planning and problem solving. Students are assigned to a Dean upon entering sixth grade and remain with that Dean for two years, in the eighth grade they will be assigned to another dean who will see them through their transition to the Upper School. This ensures continuity of support, offers stability during the transition from a middle to an upper grades program and enables deans to establish lasting personal relationships that best address students' needs. The Dean will work with cohorts of approximately 50 students in each grade (6&7 / 8&9). Deans work closely with teachers, the Student Success Team and other school leaders to make the secondary experience a rewarding one for each student and family.
Deans also play a leadership role in the Secondary Division, reporting to the Director of Student Wellbeing and advising the Head of Secondary Division.
Nurture students' growth and development
- Advise and guide a total of 90-100 students and their families in grades 6 & 7 / 8 & 9. Your students will feel known and well supported; their families will rave about you.
- Help develop and implement, a socio-emotional learning curriculum
- Develop strong, ongoing relationships with parents and students
- Monitor and guide students' academic progress and social and emotional well-being
- Uphold high standards of personal conduct by students,
- Be the primary point of contact for parents and colleagues about individual students
- Facilitate a smooth transition for students to their trajectory toward the upper grades
- Lead daytime and/or evening programs for parents and students on special topics
Be a leader
- Develop plans to support students' success in school, and follow through with colleagues and families to ensure student needs are met
- Be relentlessly resourceful and highly collaborative, guiding colleagues on how to best support each individual student's success, growth and happiness
What you bring
- 5+ years of experience working with adolescents
- Strong experience with advisory and social-emotional development curriculum
- Extraordinary ability to build relationships with middle school students and their families
- Ability to identify opportunities to support students, take action and mobilize resources on their behalf
- Deep understanding of developmental stage and social-emotional needs of middle schoolers, and a range of proven approaches to address them
- Clear, compelling communicator in speaking and writing, individually and in large groups
- High emotional intelligence to navigate difficult conversations with grace and empathy
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills, able to smoothly handle multiple priorities, tasks and deadlines
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
Avenues is neither a local school, nor an international school - we are a world school. We value and are respectful of the diversity of languages, race, gender and culture which is reflected amongst our staff. Our hiring reflects action for equal opportunity for all while appreciating that local context influences our focus for greater representation of racial diversity on our campus. We aim to interconnect different views and voices as we develop students to be world wise leaders.