New York, New York
Operations, Finance & Strategy
Position: School Nurse
Location:New York, NY
Begin by thinking Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues London, Avenues Doha. Think of Avenues as one international school with multiple interconnected campuses. It will not be a collection of schools all pursuing different educational strategies, but rather one highly integrated learning community, connected and supported by a common vision, a shared education design and curriculum, world-class technology and a talented headquarters team in New York City. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship in the twenty-first century, with an approach that combines language immersion, interdisciplinary teaching, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
The School Nurse at Avenues: The World School provides care for children in grades nursery, through twelve, as part of a team of healthcare providers. The School Nurse will ensure a safe, efficient and compliant nursing office, that responds to the medical needs of the school community in a timely fashion.
The School Nurse responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide direct health services to students and staff,including:
- nursing care and physical screening to students; assess students and implement first aid measures for students as needed.
- promoting a healthy school environment by monitoring immunizations and ensuring appropriate exclusion for infectious illnesses
- acting as advocate and consultant on health-related issues
- Contribute to the school health program through communication and collaboration with school staff, parents, students and community resources
- Report appropriate health records and communicable diseases as required by law
- Communicateclearly and proactively with parents and staff on student illnesses to ensure all faculty have relevant information on the student body. Monitor compliance of health forms, and document nurse visits accurately and in a timely fashion.
- Contribute to the development of school health policies, including: health office organization, training for faculty and staff and other areas as needed
- Collaboratewith faculty around field trips, to include preparation of first aid bags and preparing health alerts
Candidates should have most, if not all, of the following:
- Registered professional nurse, licensed to practice in NYS
- Bachelor of science degree with three years relevant professional experience
- Experience as a school, pediatric and/or public health nurse referred
- CPR and AED certification
- Knowledge of school health programs such as immunization and other requirements
- Understanding of pediatric growth and development, allergies, and reproductive and behavioral health
- Understanding of health curriculum and instruction for children from nursery (2-year-olds) through grade 12
- Proficiency in computer operation, including office software, online research database operation and Magnus Health software
- Proficiency in either Spanish or Mandarin Chinese a plus
Apply with your resume and a thoughtful cover letter through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.