New York, New York, United States
Upper Division (NYC)
Position: Associate Division Head, Upper Division
Location: New York, NY
Start date: Summer 2020
Reports to: Head of Upper Division
Avenues is on a mission: changing the world through education. This is more than a platitude for us. With interconnected campuses under development in leading cities around the world, Avenues is uniquely positioned to develop world-wise leaders equipped to face and solve the future's complex global challenges.
On any given day, Avenues New York students might be building a 3D printer, in China, with peers from around the world. Or constructing a tiny house as they learn about sustainability. Or putting on an original TEDx conference as part of a Mastery project. Our schedule, designed for creative collaboration and inquiry-based learning, allows faculty to design deep learning experiences for students. Associate Division Heads are Avenues leaders dedicated to directly supporting the success, growth and impact of our talented, diverse, and world-wise faculty.
Avenues seeks a daring, future-wise educator, whose personal mission aligns with ours, to join us as an Associate Division Head. The ADH will join a talented leadership team who ensure that the Avenues secondary division is an extraordinarily engaging place to work, a laboratory of deeper learning for all, and a thriving community.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
As Associate Division Head, you will:
- Ensure and support faculty success: the teachers you lead feel deeply engaged and effectively supported to impact students, develop professionally, and thrive.
- Nurture teachers' engagement: faculty consistently feel trust, connection, belonging, and clarity, leading to a deep sense of engagement and fulfillment
- Support teachers' impact: faculty produce transformational student learning while growing and developing professionally.
- Be a divisional and organizational leader, serving in a leadership team with shared ownership for the success of the division and of Avenues as a whole.
- Enable innovation, by nurturing an environment in which faculty take risks and improve on existing practices
- Drive deep student learning, guiding faculty to create authentic, inquiry-oriented learning experiences, while meeting each student's individual needs
- Nurture a thriving culture of trust, learning, innovation and shared purpose among the whole community of adults and students
- Help build exceptional teams of faculty through effective coaching, feedback, hiring and assessing faculty growth and impact
- Collaborate intensively with diverse colleagues - such as deans, faculty, other ADHs, and others - to effectively support Avenues students and the community
- Lead projects, take on new challenges, and generally be an "all-in" leader who's in this to create a whole New School of Thought
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
You bring all or most of the following:
- Superb ability as a teacher, and a deep understanding of high-quality instruction in grades 6-12; expertise in inquiry-driven and interdisciplinary teaching is a great asset
- Instructional leadership skills, to guide teachers to grow in their teaching and create deeper learning for students
- Management ability, to lead teams in which teachers are engaged in their work, constantly growing and accomplishing great things together
- Unparalleled zeal for transforming education, and for changing the world through it
- An innovative, problem-solving approach, including in ambiguous situations that require figuring out new solutions rather than following established paths
- Intellectual curiosity and mindset of continuous learning and growth
- Skillful at working across lines of difference in an intercultural team
Review the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/careers/. Apply with your resume and a very thoughtful cover letter that speaks to your fit for this role at Avenues.
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.