Math Teacher, Grades 10-12
Shenzhen, China |
Position: Math Teacher, Grades 10-12
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: August 2023
Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
In 2018, we launched our Shenzhen campus, bringing our popular early childhood program from New York to China’s southern hub of innovation. Today, we are thrilled to have expanded our campus to serve students from two to 18 years of age.
AVENUES SHENZHEN UPPER GRADES
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
Upper Grades math teachers at Avenues Shenzhen ensure that students act as mathematicians every day. Avenues embraces a problem-based mathematics pedagogy and curriculum. Math is learned through student-centered discussion in which students share ideas, present solutions, reflect on mistakes, and master mathematical concepts through working out problems together. Teachers facilitate discourse in class to guide and inspire students to develop a deeper understanding of mathematics, while at the same time empowering them to develop their own mathematical voice. As an Avenues math teacher, you will:
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes and target instruction through a problem-based integrated mathematics curriculum
- Thoughtfully address diverse individual needs
- Provide rich, learning-focused feedback
- Deeply connect with students, colleagues and parents to uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Invoke a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to value being at school and feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families through ongoing proactive communication
- Find ways to improve your practice every day by collaborating with your colleagues
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
You bring all or most of the following:
- At least 3 years of math teaching experience and a track record of student learning
- Strong content knowledge, with a bachelor's or equivalent study in mathematics; graduate degree in related field preferred
- A love of mathematics and ability to share that passion with students
- Familiarity with inquiry-, problem-, and/or discussion-based learning
- Intellectual curiosity and humility to reflect on and continually grow in your practice
- Highly effective collaboration skills, eager to listen deeply, contribute in a multi-cultural team, and achieve goals together
- Professional fluency in English and Mandarin
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply through the Careers section of our website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.