São Paulo, Brazil | Secondary Division (São Paulo)
Position: Interdisciplinary Project Teacher, Grades 6-9
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Start Date: July 2022
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining a global curriculum based on language immersion and interdisciplinary learning with a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. At Avenues, no one teaches on an island. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
What Will You Do?
- You will bring a sense of adventure, a strong background in experiential student-centered and project-based learning, and a growth mindset
- You will co-design, co-teach, and co-assess student learning experiences that make up the vast majority of the students’ days and weeks
- While teaching specialization and content expertise is expected, you see yourself as a teacher of interdisciplinary experiences as you will participate in the design and delivery of projects, lessons, and activities outside of your comfort zone and content area
- You will help to form community partnerships and develop authentic, real-world applications for student work and engagement
- You will serve as a mentor, advisor, teacher, and learner both in and out of the classroom.
- You will communicate clearly, kindly, and effectively with students and their families in support of student growth and success
- You will give and receive feedback to and from students, colleagues, peers, families, and the greater Avenues community
Who Are You?
- You love the practice of teaching and the act of learning
- You find joy in building and fostering positive relationships with and among early adolescents in the middle grades and early high school years
- You are filled to the brim with curiosity about how children - and adults - learn
- You view the role of a teacher as a mentor, a coach, a guide, a facilitator, an inspiration
- You embrace and welcome ambiguity and are comfortable in the face of uncertainty - you find beauty in organized chaos
- You explore personal interests and passions outside of the classroom that exhibit a commitment to lifelong learning
- You seek to answer questions with better questions and drive learners toward independence and self-advocacy
- You are obsessed with the academic success and the well-being of every child in the building
What We Offer
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple campuses around the world, including a well-defined career pathway
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply in English through the Careers section of the Avenues website, www.avenues.org. Please include a thoughtful cover letter in your application.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.