San Jose, California | Upper Division (Silicon Valley)
Position: Math Project Teacher, Grades 6-9
Location: San Jose, CA
Start Date: July 2022
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, and Avenues Online. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining a global curriculum based on language immersion and interdisciplinary learning with a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Silicon Valley
Prior to our full nursery through high school campus opening in 2023, Avenues will open its doors to students in the upper division at our Silicon Valley campus in San Jose for the 2022 academic year, serving students from 6th through 9th grade. As the newest campus of Avenues: The World School, Avenues Silicon Valley will be the first location in the Bay Area, providing students with transformative, world-focused learning experiences in a state-of-the-art educational facility.
We are seeking a math teacher for our first year program of 6th through 9th grade students that will run from August 2022 through June 2023. This first year program will consist of a small team of faculty working across disciplines to introduce students to project, problem, and discussion-based experiential learning and focus on developing skills and habits of mind. In addition to daily math classes, students will spend significant portions of their week outside of the classroom engaging in activities and connecting with organizations throughout the Bay Area with a focus on Sustainability, Community, Identity, and Diversity with opportunities for applied mathematical thinking embedded throughout their learning. Faculty will help to create this pioneering program, designing lessons, activities, and reflections around the student experience and fostering opportunities for students to extend their learning independently. Students and faculty will participate in overnight excursions, including opportunities to study at other Avenues campuses in New York City, São Paulo, and Shenzhen, as well as our signature Global Journeys experiences in locations around the world.
What Will You Do?
Math teachers at Avenues ensure that students act and think as mathematicians every day. The heart of mathematics learning is student discourse, a capability which is still being developed in sixth and seventh grade. Through inquiry activities, group problem sets, discovery work, projects, and other engaging activities, students learn to speak and communicate mathematically while building understanding and skills that prepare them for higher level study. In grades 8-12, Avenues embraces a problem-based mathematics pedagogy and curriculum. Math is learned through student-centered discussion in which students share ideas, present solutions, reflect on mistakes, and master mathematical concepts through working out problems together. Teachers facilitate discourse in class to guide and inspire students to develop deeper understanding of mathematics, while at the same time empowering them to be their own mathematical voice.
In addition, as part of the pioneering faculty:
- You will bring a sense of adventure, a strong background in student-centered and problem-based mathematics instruction, and a growth mindset.
- You will co-design, teach, and assess student learning of key mathematical practices and understandings in the math classroom and develop opportunities for application of the skills and concepts in interdisciplinary project work
- While teaching specialization and content expertise is expected, you see yourself as a teacher of interdisciplinary experiences as you will participate in the design and delivery of projects, lessons, and activities outside of your comfort zone and content area.
- You will help to form community partnerships and develop authentic, real-world applications for student work and engagement
- You will serve as a mentor, advisor, teacher, and learner both in and out of the classroom.
- You will communicate clearly, kindly, and effectively with students and their families in support of student growth and success
- You will give and receive feedback to and from students, colleagues, peers, families, and the greater Avenues community
- Teaching faculty in the 2022-23 program will continue on to teaching positions at Avenues: Silicon Valley in August 2023 for the 2023/24 school year.
Who Are You?
- You love the practice of teaching and the act of learning
- You find joy in building and fostering positive relationships with and among early adolescents in the middle grades and early high school years
- You are filled to the brim with curiosity about how children - and adults - learn
- You view the role of a teacher as a mentor, a coach, a guide, a facilitator, an inspiration
- You embrace and welcome ambiguity and are comfortable in the face of uncertainty - you find beauty in organized chaos
- You explore personal interests and passions outside of the classroom that exhibit a commitment to lifelong learning
- You seek to answer questions with better questions and drive learners toward independence and self-advocacy
- You are obsessed with the academic success and the well-being of every child in the building
What We Offer
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple campuses around the world, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up and a green field to build things from scratch, all within an organization with global resources and supports, and a proven track record of results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Math teachers at Avenues bring all or most of the following:
- several years of math teaching experience and a track record of student learning
- strong content knowledge, with at least bachelor's or equivalent study in mathematics
- experience with problem-based pedagogy and curriculum or a strong background of learning and deep belief in PBL
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website, www.avenues.org. Please include a thoughtful cover letter in your application.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.