São Paulo, Brazil | Secondary Division (São Paulo)
Position: Avenues Intern Program - Lab Intern: Secondary Division
Location: São Paulo
Start Date: January 2021
Begin by thinking about Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues London. Think of Avenues as one international school with multiple interconnected campuses. It will not be a collection of different schools all pursuing different educational strategies, but rather one highly integrated learning community, connected and supported by a common vision, a shared education design and curriculum, world-class technology and a talented headquarters team in New York City.
Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship in the twenty-first century, with an approach that combines language immersion, interdisciplinary teaching, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here is not a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. At Avenues, no one teaches on an island. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we are always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
The Avenues Internship Program (A.I.P) is a two-year on-site educator preparation program that offers early career educators the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in a learning environment. Interns collaborate closely with teachers in all aspects of lessons and beyond. We are currently seeking two interns to work specifically with Primary and Secondary divisions science labs.
In addition to their work at science labs, interns will participate in weekly faculty meetings where they explore issues essential to learning and projects that use lab resources and spaces. These meetings also offer interns the opportunity to share and reflect upon their experiences, thereby gaining new perspectives on educating and education. In this role, an intern will:
- Support all classes taught in the science labs from planning to group activities
- Coordinate the supply and care of lab materials, requesting purchases as needed and ensuring they are properly maintained
- Collaborate with teachers when using lab resources and spaces, for both classes and projects (science fairs, Mastery projects,etc.)
- Provide technical support in handling materials (safety procedures, cleaning, etc.)
- Support other disciplines as needed for lab project work
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- A desire to learn best practices in interdisciplinary education through teaching in science labs and planning lab experiences
- Deep dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching and by providing learning experiences in lab environments
- Superb ability to collaborate with colleagues to achieve goals
- Currently studying toward a teaching degree (licenciatura) in one of the following areas: chemistry, biology, or physics
Please apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers).
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is neither a local school, nor an international school - we are a world school. We value and are respectful of the diversity of languages, race, gender and culture which is reflected amongst our staff. Our hiring reflects action for equal opportunity for all while appreciating that local context influences our focus for greater representation of racial diversity on our campus. We aim to interconnect different views and voices as we develop students to be world wise leaders. In your resume you may choose to declare your race, gender or any other identity that represents yourself if you wish.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.