Director of Technology
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start date: Spring or Summer 2021
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration. Avenues is widely recognized for our sophisticated use of technology for learning, with campuses connected across multiple continents through technology.
The newest campus of Avenues: The World School, and its first in China, Avenues Shenzhen opened in Fall 2019. It offers a unique early childhood program, and is now expanding to serve all grades from toddler through 12. Suffused with light, surrounded by greenery and seamlessly integrating technology, the campus is an urban oasis where architecture inspires learning and curiosity. The curriculum features language immersion, learning through play and interdisciplinary study in a state-of-the-art facility.
opened in Fall 2019. It offers a unique early childhood program, and is now expanding to serve all grades from toddler through 12. Suffused with light, surrounded by greenery and seamlessly integrating technology, the campus is an urban oasis where architecture inspires learning and curiosity. The curriculum features language immersion, learning through play and interdisciplinary study in a state-of-the-art facility.
Now, Avenues Shenzhen seeks a new Director of Technology. This is an opportunity for an entrepreneurial, collaborative technology leader to make a powerful impact during a period of significant growth in the campus community and expansion of our technology infrastructure, team and systems. The Director of Technology will ensure that technology effectively supports innovative teaching, learning and daily operations. S/he builds and leads a team of talented technology integrators, system administrators, and IT support staff committed to the operation of our campus and to the successful technology use by every member of our community. And s/he is a leader in the global Information Systems and Technology team, comprised of talented, diverse professionals at the intersection of education, operations, and technology.
What Will You Do?
As Director of Technology at Avenues Shenzhen, you will:
Select, support and implement technologies that best contribute achieving the campus’s short- and long-term goals
- Partner with, influence and support other campus leaders to embrace and best utilize information technology at Avenues
- Collaborate with division and department directors (academic, admissions, business, registrar, library, etc.) to identify and support technological needs in their areas
- Develop and manage technical projects and programs by the VP, Information Systems or other appropriate administrator
- Provide high-level operational planning and support to build the local campus infrastructure as well as hands-on understanding of technology systems and services. This includes technology planning, implementation, and troubleshooting across IT, Security, and AV as needed to successfully support the campus teamsand supporting locations
- Build and maintain a highly engaged and effective campus technology team, including technology integration, technology support, campus infrastructure and library and media
What Do You Bring?
You'll bring to this role most or all of the following:
- Energized by Avenues’ mission and opportunity for impact in education
- Significant professional experience at the intersection of technology and education
- Strong cross-cultural skills, with experience managing complex technology projects and teams in China
- An analytical, problem-solving approach, including in ambiguous situations that require figuring out new solutions, not taking predetermined paths to success
- Ability to lead effectively through relationships, persuasion and influence
- Track record of building and managing highly effective teams
- Sense of deep personal responsibility for the organization’s success
- Fluency in Mandarin Chinese and professional proficiency in English
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, systems analysis, operations or equivalent experience
Learn more and apply at https://www.avenueschina.cn/zh/careers/. Include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email Chinacareers@avenues.org.
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.