New York, NY, United States
Upper Division (New York)
Position: High Intensity Practice (HIP) Thinking through Writing Teacher, Grades 6-10
Location:New York, New York
Why Teach at Avenues?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to some of the world’s leading cities in coming years. Teaching and learning through challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. No one teaches on an island here. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
What You'll Do
HIP Thinking is an innovative program that cultivates high-level thinking and reasoning skills through writing, mathematics and coding. Effective HIP Thinking through Writing teachers build a classroom culture that values and celebrates thinking through writing, encourages experimentation and sustained attention, and stays laser focused on the mission of the program to develop empathy, creativity, critical thinking, working memory, and overall cognitive flexibility through the practice of math. Every HIP class is centered on sustaining 20-25 minutes of engaged practice. HIP instructors set students up to succeed in this practice. The job involves regular collaboration with other HIP teachers to come up with creative challenges, to forge mini-lessons that will inspire student work, and to offer targeted feedback. Because the program is still young, this unique position feels in some ways like a traditional teaching role but even more like being part of a team trying to advance an exciting new approach.
You will also:
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes, targeting instruction thoughtfully to address individual needs
- Build a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to feel part of a rigorous but joyful learning community
- Collaborate intensively with colleagues to develop projects and continually deepen student learning
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
- Adopt an innovative mindset in terms of what to reinforce in student writing
What You'll Bring
- Avenues HIP teachers come from a variety of backgrounds, and bring all or most of the following:
- Teaching experience for mathematics in grades 6-12
- Demonstration of strong written abilities of their own
- A remarkable entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition
- Intellectual curiosity and humility, to reflect, welcome feedback, and grow in teaching practice
- A strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
All interested HIP Thinking through Writing candidates, please specifically reference which elements of the HIP program that appeal to you in your cover letter
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.