New York, NY, United States
Position: Program Instructor for Environmental Science
Location: Monteverde, Costa Rica
Start date: Summer 2020
Reports to: Director of Program Design
Avenues is on a mission: changing the world through education. This is more than a platitude for us. With interconnected campuses under development in leading cities around the world, Avenues is uniquely positioned to develop world-wise leaders equipped to face and solve the future's complex global challenges.
MASTERY ACADEMY for ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
The Avenues Mastery Academy for Environmental Science is a selective middle school summer program where innovation-minded students share a two-week-long boarding experience to dive deeply into tropical ecology in a worldwide biodiversity hotspot: Monteverde, Costa Rica. The Academy introduces students to an academic apprentice-learning model in which participants live and work side-by-side with master teachers and scientists.
The Mastery Academy brings together exceptionally motivated students from around the world to collaborate across cultures on ambitious projects. This year, students will go to Monteverde to develop a long-term conservation plan for a species of their choice. While pursuing this goal, students will work with like-minded peers from around the world as part of Monteverde’s world-class ecology community, forging lifelong friendships and lasting social and professional networks.
As a Program Instructor, you will take on residential life and teaching responsibilities to help create a transformational experience with environmental science at its core, largely free from the constraints of traditional class schedules, room assignments, and disciplinary silos.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
As a Program Instructor, you will:
- Develop and teach a highly engaging, interdisciplinary curriculum that builds students’ skills according to established learning outcomes.
- Flexibly adapt the day and week schedules so that students can achieve key project milestones.
- Collaborate closely with a team focused on students’ learning and well-being. This is a role with many hats.
- Take on residential life responsibilities so as to support middle grade students’ maturation, development, well-being, and safety.
- Build a warm, supportive, respectful learning atmosphere.
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
You bring all or most of the following:
- A remarkable entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition.
- Intellectual curiosity and humility to reflect on and continually grow in teaching practice.
- Strong knowledge and experience in environmental science. Experience living or working in the tropics is a plus.
- Experience teaching middle school students, with clear evidence of student learning and growth.
- Professional fluency in English. Spanish is a plus.
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute in a multi-cultural team and achieve goals together.
Please read first about Avenues: The World School and our distinctive approach, and consider whether our mission and approach would be a good fit for you: www.avenues.org/ama.
Apply through the Careers section of our website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at the Avenues Mastery Academy would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.