New York, New York, United States
Lower Division (NYC)
Position: Lower Division Substitute (Grades 1-5) - Chinese, English, and Spanish
Location: New York, NY
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Teaching and learning through dual language immersion and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Avenues: The World School seeks qualified substitute teachers across the Lower Division at our New York Campus. Substitute teachers may be assigned a head or associate teaching role, depending on grade level or specialty area. We are looking for fluent Mandarin and Spanish speakers for our immersion program, as well as English speakers for our English and science classrooms. The role of the substitute teacher requires flexibility, collaboration, and strong classroom management practices. Candidates should hold a bachelor’s degree and/or have relevant experience working with children. Preference will be given to candidates with teaching experience and those with degrees in educational fields. Substitute teacher hours are generally 7:45 AM to 3:30 PM. As a Lower Division Substitute you will:
- Oversee the safety of students during classroom teaching, lunch, dismissal and other duties as needed throughout the day
- Lead student learning according to the plans left by the regular classroom teacher
- Manage and engage students in a safe and productive manner
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in education (preferred) or subject area of expertise
- Full professional proficiency in Chinese, English, or Spanish
- Collaborative and adaptive
- Ability to provide coverage for both planned and short-notice needs
- Builds strong bonds with and among students
- Communicates effectively and accurately, in a timely manner, in a variety of ways
- Exhibits responsive and thoughtful classroom management skills and practices which promote welcome, safety, respect and kindness
To learn more and apply, visit the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.