New York, New York, United States
Lower Division (NYC)
Position: Science Teacher, Lower Division (Grades 4-5) - Leave Replacement
Location: New York, NY
Position Dates: Late January 2020- March/Early April 2020
Why Teach at Avenues?
There is no place quite like Avenues. We are a top-tier school in New York City that offers a truly global education, one that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Our faculty bring widely diverse experiences, but we are all committed to creating a unique educational experience together. We foster a culture of creativity, entrepreneurship, and deep collaboration. We teach and learn through challenging interdisciplinary projects. And we offer unparalleled possibilities for professional learning prospects around the globe.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration isn't a buzzword here--it's woven into everything we do. We have built substantial time to collaborate into our schedule. Teacher teams across multiple disciplines design learning experiences for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other, and seeking to improve.
What You’ll Do
At Avenues, science teachers ensure that students act and think as scientists every day: asking questions, conducting experiments, and learning deeply by following lines of inquiry to discover the world around them. In grades 4-5, we teach an engaging, project-based curriculum that integrates fundamental concepts and skills from the physical, life, and earth sciences along with introductory engineering and design. Science teachers work closely with homeroom teachers and STEAM team colleagues to design interdisciplinary learning experiences.
As a Lower Division science teacher at Avenues you will:
- deliver high-quality, inquiry-based science instruction to students in grades 4-5
- ensure students achieve key learning outcomes by targeting instruction to address individual student needs
- work collaboratively as a member of the Lower Division science team to align curriculum plans and units across grade levels
- implement science-based and interdisciplinary STEAM units and projects with in conjunction with homeroom and specialty teachers
- co-construct with students a classroom environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our founding values of welcome, safety, and respect
- practice cultural competence in the classroom and workplace
- inspire trust and confidence among families through regular, proactive communication
- contribute to the broader community of our NYC campus and global network
What You’ll Bring
Science teachers at Avenues bring all or most of the following:
- teaching experience with lower division-aged children and an exemplary track record of student learning (science teaching highly preferred)
- strong content knowledge in general physical, life, and earth sciences concepts
- deep understanding of curriculum planning and lesson design frameworks
- experience with, or interest, in interdisciplinary, project-based teaching
- intellectual curiosity and the humility to reflect on, and continually grow in, your teaching practice
- commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion
- a strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Make sure to include a very thoughtful cover letter with your application explaining how you meet the criteria.
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.