Position: PlayLab After-School Teacher (Group Leader)
Location: New York, NY
Start date: Immediately
WHO ARE WE
Begin by thinking Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Beijing, Avenues London, Avenues Doha. Think of Avenues as one international school with multiple interconnected campuses. It will not be a collection of schools all pursuing different educational strategies, but rather one highly integrated learning community, connected and supported by a common vision, a shared education design and curriculum, world-class technology and a talented headquarters team in New York City. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship in the twenty-first century, with an approach that combines language immersion, interdisciplinary teaching, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
The after-school program at Avenues: The World School is seeking a part-time teacher to join our team of diverse and motivated leaders and educators in our PlayLab general after-school care program for students in nursery through grade two. Activities during this time include art, cooking, dramatic play, group games, outdoor play and homework help. This role requires strong classroom management skills and a background with children and parents in a school setting. The ability to maintain order during a busy program, multitask and problem solve in any situation is an integral part of this position.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Implement a play-based curriculum that engages all learners in meaningful enrichment programming after school.
- Implement classroom management that reflects and corresponds with Response Classroom techniques
- Respond to the individual needs of children and establish stable and consistent relationship with each child and their families/caregivers.
- Implement and adhere to safety protocols particularly sign in and out procedures
- Collaborate daily with colleagues to continually improve student learning and school culture
- Maintain a tidy and functional classroom and commons space
WHAT YOU BRING
- Experience working with children ages 2-10 years old preferable in an education or enrichment-setting
- Deep dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Deep dedication to learning and developing as an educator
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- CPR and First Aid certification preferred
- Fingerprint, background check and medical clearance will be required
- Ten-month program serving participants from September to June
- Regularly 20 hours per week, Monday–Friday from 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm (hours may vary) with opportunities for more hours.
- $18.00 per hour
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.