New York, New York
Lower Division (New York)
Position: Spanish Music Teacher - Grades N-5
Location: New York, NY
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a trulyglobal education, that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Teaching and learning through dual language immersion and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. Teams of English and Spanish or Chinese teachers share two classes of students, collaborating to nurture their students' social, emotional and academic growth. Teacher teams share responsibility for the curriculum and plan together daily. This intense collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
Avenues students will graduatefluent in a second languageand at ease beyond their borders. To this end, in all grades N-5 students alternate their days between English and Spanish or English and Chinese classrooms. Our music teachers in grades N-3 teach fully in the target language of Spanish or Chinese.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
At Avenues, students develop a love and appreciation for music. Early Learning Center and Lower Division classes center around conceptual musical understanding, though exposure to early vocal and instrumental skills, as well as fine and gross motor rhythmic movement. All instruction will be delivered in the target language of Spanish as the elements of music are internalized by each child into an organic, kinesthetic learning experience.
As the music teacher, you will:
- Ensure that all students achieve key musical learning targets for the grade level, planning and delivering instruction thoughtfully to engage all students in the classroom. In 2021-2022, this role will teach primarily in classrooms in grades 1-3.
- Support the Music and Movement program in grades 1-3 as well as the instrumental program in grades 4 & 5.
- Build a robust and joyful learning atmosphere that leads students to value music and feel part of a rigorous learning community
- Lead students to explore musical concepts such as dynamics, melodic direction, pitch recognition, rhythm and scale
- Collaborate intensively and daily with colleagues to continually improve student learning
- Enhance school culture by helping to organize and contribute to divisional assemblies, concerts and special events
- Deeply connect with students and vigorously uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
WHAT YOU BRING
- At least 3 years of music teaching experience in grades 1-5 with a proven track record of student learning
- Strong understanding of instructional skills in teaching music to elementary aged children
- Experience in teaching early recorder and Orff skills is highly preferred
- Full professional fluency in Spanish as classes are taught in 100% Spanish language immersion
- Highly effective collaboration skills, eagerness to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Deep dedication to learning and developing as an educator
- Resourcefulness and adaptability, eagerness to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- Graduate degree in education, teaching or a music related field is highly preferred
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/careers/). Be sure to include a very thoughtful cover letter in your application.
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.