New York, New York, United States
Upper Division (NYC)
Position: Art Teacher, Upper Division
Location: New York, NY
Why Teach at Avenues?
There is no place quite like Avenues. We are a top-tier school in New York City that offers a trulyglobal education, one that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Our faculty bring widely diverse experiences, but we are all committed to creating a unique educational experience together. We foster a culture of creativity, entrepreneurship, and deep collaboration. We teach and learn through challenging interdisciplinary projects. And we offer unparalleled possibilities for professional learning prospects around the globe.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration isn't a buzzword here--it's woven into everything we do. We have built substantial time to collaborate into our schedule. Teacher teams across multiple disciplines design learning experiences for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other, and seeking to improve.
What You’ll Do
Avenues The World School is a top-tier school with a trulyglobal visionthat will eventually expand to major cities around the globe. Avenues New York is seeking a creative, curious and adaptive art teachers in our Upper Division, Grades 6-8. Art and design are an intrinsic part of an integrated curriculum, and our visual art teachers work closely with faculty from the disciplines of science, World Course, and English.
More broadly, all teachers at Avenues:
- ensure students achieve key learning outcomes by targeting instruction to address individual student needs
- collaboratively plan art-based and interdisciplinary units and projects using backwards design frameworks, such as Understanding by Design
- co-construct with students a classroom environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our values of welcome, safety, and respect
- practice cultural competence in the classroom and workplace
- inspire trust and confidence among guardians and families through regular, proactive communication
- contribute to the broader community of our NYC campus and global network
What You’ll Bring
Avenues Art teachers bring all or most of the following:
- 2D: drawing, painting, printmaking
- 3D: woodworking, mold making and casting, clay
- Digital Arts: photography, animation, web design
- Applications: Adobe Suite
- passion for learning new techniques and technology and passing it on to students
- knowledge of contemporary art practice and contemporary art world in addition to a foundation in art history
- commitment to building a vibrant arts community by exhibiting student work and planning art-related events
- enthusiasm for project-based learning environments and student-centered classrooms
- intellectual curiosity and the humility to reflect on, and continually grow in, your teaching practice
- commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion
- strong sense of responsibility for ensuring the success of students with varying levels of interest and ability
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Make sure to include a cover letter with a link to your students’ work along with your application. We also encourage applicants to share links to their own professional art and design work.
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.