São Paulo, Brazil | Secondary Division (São Paulo)
Position: Learning Support Specialist (Secondary Division)
Location: São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Start: July 2022
Begin by thinking Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues London. Think of Avenues as one international school with multiple interconnected campuses. It will not be a collection of different schools all pursuing different educational strategies, but rather one highly integrated learning community, connected and supported by a common vision, a shared education design and curriculum, world-class technology and a talented headquarters team in New York City.
Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship in the twenty-first century, with an approach that combines language immersion, interdisciplinary teaching, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues: The World School seeks a support interventionist teacher. to join the São Paulo campus. You will be responsible for ensuring that all students' under your care are effectively supported so that they can thrive at Avenues. You will work closely with a talented student success team that includes learning support specialists, language support teachers, psychologists, as well as with the broader teaching and learning team, teachers and division leaders.
As a member of Student Success Team (SST), you will:
- Provide a safe, stimulating and supportive learning environment for all students to thrive and feel known and cared for;
- Drive student success across all grades, by helping to develop individualized learning plans for students who need them, to support each student to learn through meaningful, engaging work and to contribute to creating strategies for supporting specific needs that are identified as being common to a larger group of students;
- Maintain anecdotal records that yield useful data for teachers, SST team, parents and outside resources to support students;
- Meet with and assess individual students, confer with parents and refer to outside professionals when necessary;
- Follow up with outside professionals and coordinate support for students with the SST team, teachers and deans;
- Work with teachers and deans to develop a student support protocol;
- Be an effective communicator using data and objective measures when talking to faculty and parents;
- Be an exemplary learner, always reflecting, growing and seeking to improve.
- Be a supportive and collaborative team member
You bring all or most of the following:
- A successful track record as a learning specialist with experience working with school age children;
- Deep understanding of cognitive development from pre-adolescents to young adults;
- Expertise in analyzing assessment s and/or student observations to determine appropriate supports;
- Keen intellectual curiosity and a mindset of continuous learning and growth;
- Sense of deep personal responsibility for the success of students and teachers;
- Proficiency in English and Portuguese is preferred;
- Knowledge of bilingual education is a plus;
- Knowledge of lesson plan design is a plus;
- Knowledge of STEM or Math support is a plus.
Please read first about Avenues: The World School and our distinctive approach, and consider whether our mission and approach would be a good fit for you: www.avenues.org/sp.
Apply through the Careers section of our website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues São Paulo would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is neither a local school, nor an international school - we are a world school. We value and are respectful of the diversity of languages, race, gender and culture which is reflected amongst our staff. Our hiring reflects action for equal opportunity for all while appreciating that local context influences our focus for greater representation of racial diversity on our campus. We aim to interconnect different views and voices as we develop students to be world wise leaders.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.