São Paulo, Brazil | Secondary Division (São Paulo)
Position: Portuguese Language and Literature Teacher, Grades 9-12
Location: São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Start: January 2022
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. At Avenues, no one teaches on an island. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
At Avenues, Portuguese language and literature courses are interdisciplinary. History topics are closely interwoven with literature studied in Portuguese, growing in depth and complexity, with extensive collaboration with other disciplines including science, art, and World Course. Classes are discussion-based, promoting inquiry, exploration, and presentation. We expect students to write well and frequently, and engage in independent project work. You will also:
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes, targeting instruction to address individual needs
- Build a learning atmosphere that leads students to feel part of a rigorous but joyful learning community
- Collaborate intensively with colleagues to design interdisciplinary projects and continually deepen student learning
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
Portuguese teachers at Avenues bring all or most of the following:
- Deep knowledge of, and an infectious passion for, literature and the tools of literary analysis
- English proficiency to engage in meaningful professional collaboration with English-speaking colleagues
- A remarkable entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition
- Passion for working with young people as they learn, struggle, and grow
- Intellectual curiosity and humility, to reflect on and continually grow in teaching practice
- Pedagogy that engages all students in interesting, meaningful and challenging work
- Experience teaching Portuguese, with clear evidence of student learning and growth
- A strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Please read first about Avenues: The World School and our distinctive approach, and consider whether our mission and approach would be a good fit for you: www.avenues.org/sp.
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/). Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why this role at Avenues São Paulo would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is neither a local school, nor an international school - we are a world school. We value and are respectful of the diversity of languages, race, gender and culture which is reflected amongst our staff. Our hiring reflects action for equal opportunity for all while appreciating that local context influences our focus for greater representation of racial diversity on our campus. We aim to interconnect different views and voices as we develop students to be world wise leaders.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.