São Paulo, Brazil | Secondary Division (São Paulo)
Position: Brazilian Social Studies/World Course Teacher, Middle Grades
Location: São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Start: July 2022
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Begin by thinking Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues London. Think of Avenues as one international school with multiple interconnected campuses. It will not be a collection of different schools all pursuing different educational strategies, but rather one highly integrated learning community, connected and supported by a common vision, a shared education design and curriculum, world-class technology and a talented headquarters team in New York City.
Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship in the twenty-first century, with an approach that combines language immersion, interdisciplinary teaching, a global curriculum, and a culture of
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. At Avenues, no one teaches on an island. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
At Avenues São Paulo, Brazilian history and geography are part of the World Course, whose goal is to develop empathetic, engaged members of their communities.
The course asks big questions: Who am I? To whom am I responsible? Which voices do you listen to, and which do you ignore? How do you understand and promote "the good life"? It challenges students through creative interdisciplinary projects, like following a coffee bean back to its source farm, or creating industrial art that addresses religious pluralism. And it explores pressing national and global issues such as climate change, social conflict, and inequality.
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes, targeting instruction to address individual needs
- Build a learning atmosphere that leads students to feel part of a rigorous but joyful learning community
- Collaborate intensively with colleagues to design interdisciplinary projects and continually deepen student learning
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
Avenues SP World Course teachers come from a variety of backgrounds, and bring all or most of the following:
- Deep understanding of Brazilian history and geography
- Skill at situating topics specific to Brazil in broader, global contexts
- English proficiency to engage in meaningful professional collaboration with English-speaking colleagues
- Passion for working with young people as they learn, struggle, and grow
- Entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition
- Intellectual curiosity and humility, to reflect, welcome feedback, and grow in teaching practice
- Pedagogy that engages all students in interesting, meaningful and challenging work
- Extensive experience working outside of Brazil, and/or with diverse communities in Brazil, highly preferred
Please read first about Avenues: The World School and our distinctive approach, and consider whether our mission and approach would be a good fit for you: www.avenues.org/sp.
Apply through the Careers section of our website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English or Portuguese, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues São Paulo would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is neither a local school, nor an international school - we are a world school. We value and are respectful of the diversity of languages, race, gender and culture which is reflected amongst our staff. Our hiring reflects action for equal opportunity for all while appreciating that local context influences our focus for greater representation of racial diversity on our campus. We aim to interconnect different views and voices as we develop students to be world wise leaders.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.