Shenzhen, China | Shenzhen Campus
Position: WAM Curriculum Specialist, Grades Nursery-9
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: August 2022
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary, project-based learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Shenzhen opened in August 2018, our first campus in China. Avenues Shenzhen provides a unique early childhood program, and is now expanding to serve students in all grades from grades from toddler through 12. Avenues Shenzhen furthers Avenues' longstanding commitment to developing multiple campuses in China, providing a transformative, world-focused education.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Avenues wellness and movement (WAM) program focuses on building a foundation of health habits and lifestyles that will support our students’ mental and physical health throughout their lives. Students will engage in a wide and diverse array of fitness training, projects, cooperative games, traditional sports, studio-based activities, and dance. The WAM Curriculum Specialist will be responsible for ensuring the scope and sequence of our wellness and movement curriculum is vertically aligned across grade levels. You will also:
- Develop, innovate and document a holistic curriculum for students grades Nursery-9
- Coordinate, operationalize and support in the delivery of the production of a thoughtful and engaging WAM program across multiple grades and divisions
- Act as a team leader when necessary and a follower when appropriate; support WAM faculty in their growth as professionals
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes in wellness and movement, targeting instruction thoughtfully to address diverse individual needs
- Grow the WAM program over time, working closely with division leaders and other Avenues WAM teachers
- Support and champion the work of interdisciplinary projects
- Build a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to feel part of a rigorous but joyful learning community
WHAT YOU BRING
- Experience teaching physical education and/or health (3+ years)
- Strong knowledge base in wellness practices, physical education and exercise science
- Strong speaking, listening and demonstrative skills in large group settings
- Experience designing and implementing curriculum
- Profound commitment to ensuring and nurturing children's wellbeing
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree in education or related field is ideal
- Professional fluency in English; Mandarin Chinese is a plus
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.