New York, New York | Operations, Finance & Strategy
Position: Per diem/Substitute School Nurse
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: Director of Operations and Administration
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
The per diem/substitute nurse at Avenues: The World School provides care for children, toddlers through grade twelve. They will join a talented team of four nurses which ensure that our students feel healthy and safe at school. They will also be a part of our Campus Services Team which is dedicated to maintaining an exceptional environment and outstanding experience for our students, colleagues and families.
The successful candidate will bring proven abilities to contribute in the following areas:
- Provide direct health services to students and staff:
- Provide skilled nursing assessments and care for students; assess students and implement first aid measures; administer daily and emergency medications as authorized; maintain accurate documentation in Magnus Health technology platform.
- Monitor and provide care for students with special health concerns (asthma, diabetes, seizures, food allergies) and liaise with teachers and parents.
- Promote a healthy school environment by monitoring immunizations and illness. Ensure appropriate exclusion for non-compliant or ill students. Report appropriate health records and communicable diseases.
- Implement Covid-19 Health Protocols:
- Play a key role in implementing our innovative approach “test and stay” program for unvaccinated students.
- Administering rapid on-site tests to students, and as needed, to colleagues on campus.
- Support data reporting and compliance for rapid testing.
- Track illnesses, support contact tracing, and positive case management as guided by the NYC Department of Health and Avenues.
- As needed, support our COVID+ protocol with support from a case manager.
Candidates should have most, if not all, of the following:
- Registered professional nurse, licensed to practice in NYS
- Bachelor of science degree with three years relevant professional experience
- Experience as a school, pediatric and/or public health nurse referred
- CPR and AED certification
- Knowledge of school health issues such as Covid-19 guidelines, immunization and health exam requirements
- Understanding of pediatric growth and development, allergies, and reproductive and behavioral health
- Understanding of health curriculum and instruction for children from nursery (2-year-olds) through grade 12
- Proficiency in computer operation, including office software, online research and database operation
- Proficiency in either Spanish or Mandarin Chinese a plus
Resumes, accompanied by a thoughtful letter of interest outlining how your experience aligns with the challenges of the position and Avenues' mission, may be submitted through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.