New York, New York | Lower Division (New York)
Position: Spanish Art Teacher Medical Leave - Grades 1-3
Location: New York, NY
Start Date: October 11, 2021- November 23, 2021
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Teaching and learning through dual language immersion and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. Teams of English and Spanish or Chinese teachers share two classes of students, collaborating to nurture their students' social, emotional and academic growth. Teacher teams share responsibility for the curriculum and plan together daily. This intense collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
Avenues students will graduate fluent in a second language and at ease beyond their borders. To this end, in all grades N-5 students alternate their days between English and Spanish or English and Chinese classrooms.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Lower Division art is taught fully in the immersion language of Spanish. You will teach students in grades 1-3, collaborating closely with colleagues on the art team.
In addition, you will:
- Ensure that all students achieve key learning outcomes for art at each grade level
- Craft and deliver art lessons that support both artistic and language development goals
- Target instruction thoughtfully to address individual needs
- Build a robust learning atmosphere in the art studio that leads students to feel part of a rigorous but joyful learning community of artists
- Collaborate intensively and daily with colleagues to continually improve student learning and school culture
- Deeply connect with students and vigorously uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
- Assume lunch coverages and dismissal duties
WHAT YOU BRING
- At least 3 years of teaching experience in grades 1-3 with a proven track record of student learning
- Full professional fluency in Spanish
- Strong understanding of and instructional skills in teaching art to elementary aged children
- Highly effective collaboration with an eagerness to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Deep dedication to learning and developing as an educator
- Resourcefulness and adaptability, eagerness to embrace change, growth and learning
- Degree in education or teaching is highly preferred
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Make sure to include a very thoughtful cover letter with your application explaining how you meet the criteria.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.