São Paulo, Brazil | Secondary Division (São Paulo)
Position: Avenues Intern Program - Language Learning Intensive
Location: São Paulo
Start Date: Jan-22 or earlier
Begin by thinking about Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues London. Think of Avenues as one international school with multiple interconnected campuses. It will not be a collection of different schools all pursuing different educational strategies, but rather one highly integrated learning community, connected and supported by a common vision, a shared education design and curriculum, world-class technology and a talented headquarters team in New York City.
Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship in the twenty-first century, with an approach that combines language immersion, interdisciplinary teaching, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. At Avenues, no one teaches on an island. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
The Avenues Intern Program is an on-site teacher preparation program that offers early career educators the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in an English language immersion setting. Interns collaborate closely with colleagues in all aspects of classroom life and beyond. In addition to their classroom work, interns will participate in weekly faculty meetings where they explore issues essential to education and discuss how these issues are playing out in our classrooms. ALLI (the Avenues Language Learning Intensive) launched its first semester in January 2020, and is now in the fourth cohort of students. In the ALLI program, a small team of colleagues work exclusively with a group of 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students to sharpen and develop their English reading, writing, and speaking through a project-based interdisciplinary curriculum co-developed by the faculty and a team of experts. In your ALLI intern role, you will:
- Support class and specialist teachers to develop and teach engaging, creative curriculum and lessons, aligned with Avenues expectations and approach
- Support the day-to-day functioning of the class and school
- Collaborate closely with a team of teachers to design interdisciplinary projects and continually deepen student learning
- Participate actively in ongoing professional learning
- Build a learning atmosphere that leads students to feel part of a challenging and joyful learning community
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
An ALLI intern will bring all or most of the following:
- Desire to learn English-language teaching foundations and best practices in an immersion setting
- Deep dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Superb ability to collaborate with colleagues to achieve goals
- Currently studying toward a teaching degree in a Brazilian university, either in education (pedagogia) or another subject (licenciatura)
- A strong ability to connect with middle school aged students and a sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
- Intellectual curiosity and humility, to reflect on and continually grow in teaching practice
- A strong Fluency in Portuguese is strongly favored. Additional fluency or proficiency in Korean is a plus.
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers). Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is neither a local school, nor an international school - we are a world school. We value and are respectful of the diversity of languages, race, gender and culture which is reflected amongst our staff. Our hiring reflects action for equal opportunity for all while appreciating that local context influences our focus for greater representation of racial diversity on our campus. We aim to interconnect different views and voices as we develop students to be world wise leaders. In your resume you may choose to declare your race, gender or any other identity that represents yourself if you wish.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.