San Jose, California | Lower Division (Silicon Valley)
Position: Associate Division Head, Lower Division (Grades 1-5)
Location: San Jose, CA
Start Date: Summer 2022
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining a global curriculum based on language immersion and interdisciplinary learning with a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Silicon Valley
Avenues plans to open its Silicon Valley campus in San Jose for the 2023 academic year, serving students from nursery through 9th grade. As the newest campus of Avenues, Avenues Silicon Valley will be the first global school in the Bay Area, providing students with transformative, world-focused learning experiences in a state-of-the-art educational facility.
Avenues: The World School seeks an Associate Division Head to join the Lower Division leadership team in our Silicon Valley campus. The Avenues Lower Division provides each child with the social and academic skills needed to interact and explore the world as confident and effective learners. In the Lower Division (grades 1-5), our teachers implement hands-on, experiential activities to enable students to acquire essential skills, engage in creative thinking, broaden knowledge, and deepen understanding. Language immersion is a critical part of the curriculum. The Associate Division Head is the leader responsible for realizing this vision in two grade levels of the division, ensuring that those grades are an extraordinarily engaging place to work, a laboratory of deeper learning for all, and a thriving community.
What Will You Do?
As Associate Division Head, you will:
- Drive deep student learning across two grade levels, by guiding teachers to develop and teach high-quality curriculum, engage all students in challenging, meaningful work, and address individual student needs
- Build a thriving culture of commitment to excellence, collaboration, and constant learning among colleagues, students and families
- Be an inspiring role model to students and faculty, nurturing positive relationships and providing support and care for all students.
- Lead a team of talented faculty to accomplish great things with their students, and coach teachers to continually improve by giving regular, useful feedback
- Be an exemplary lead learner, always reflecting, growing and seeking to improve
- Enthusiastically take on the innumerable responsibilities and challenges that come with leading and innovating in a top-tier school
Who Are You?
You bring all or most of the following:
- Superb ability as a teacher, with a deep understanding of high-quality instruction in grades 1-5; expertise in literacy and/or immersion education highly preferred
- Instructional leadership skills to guide teachers - and teacher teams - to grow in teaching practice and create deeper learning for students
- Experience developing curriculum that achieves ambitious learning outcomes
- Management ability, to lead teams in which teachers are engaged in their work, constantly growing and accomplishing great things together
- A missionary zeal for transforming education, and for changing the world through it
- An innovative, problem-solving approach, including in ambiguous situations that require figuring out new solutions rather than following established paths
- Skillful at working across lines of difference on a multi-cultural team
What We Offer
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple campuses around the world, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up and a green field to build things from scratch, all within an organization with global resources and supports, and a proven track record of results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website, www.avenues.org. Please include a thoughtful cover letter in your application.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.