San Jose, California | Technology
Location: San Jose, CA
Start Date: Winter 2021
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining a global curriculum based on language immersion and interdisciplinary learning with a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Silicon Valley
Avenues plans to open its Silicon Valley campus in San Jose for the 2023 academic year, serving students from nursery through 9th grade. As the newest campus of Avenues, Avenues Silicon Valley will be the first global school in the Bay Area, providing students with transformative, world-focused learning experiences in a state-of-the-art educational facility.
Avenues: The World School is widely recognized for our sophisticated use of technology for learning and innovative global school concept, with campuses connected across multiple continents through technology. Now, our Silicon Valley campus is seeking a Director of Technology. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an entrepreneurial, collaborative leader with deep abilities as an educator, people manager, and technologist to manage and enhance the environment at Avenues Silicon Valley.
The Director of Technology will ensure that technology effectively supports innovative teaching, learning and daily operations. S/he also leads a team of talented technology integrators, system administrators, and IT support staff committed to the operation of our campus and to the successful technology use by every member of our community. And s/he is a leader in the global Information Systems and Technology team, comprised of talented, diverse professionals at the intersection of education, operations, and technology.
What Will You Do?
Facilitate Exceptional Learning Through Technology
- Implement and manage technologies to support the campus’s short- and long-term goals
- Partner with, influence and support other campus and global leaders to embrace and best utilize information technology at Avenues
- Build and maintain a highly engaged, effective team of technology staff, including technology integration, technology support, campus infrastructure and library and media
- Collaborate with division and department directors (academic, admissions, business, registrar, library, etc.) to identify and support technological needs in their areas
- Manage special technical projects and programs
Develop Technology Infrastructure
- Support technology planning, implementation, and troubleshooting as needed to successfully support the Silicon Valley campus and supporting locations
- Partner and work with Facilities team and partners to build the local campus infrastructure and ensure ongoing operations runs flawlessly
Who Are You?
You'll bring to this role most or all of the following:
- Energized by Avenues’ mission and opportunity for impact in education
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, systems analysis, operations or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience at the intersection of technology and education/learning
- Ability to attract top talent and build effective teams that do great things together
- A keen analytical, problem-solving approach, including in ambiguous situations that require figuring out new solutions rather than taking predetermined paths to success
- Ability to lead effectively through relationships, persuasion and influence
- Keen intellectual curiosity and mindset of continuous learning and growth
- Sense of deep personal responsibility for the organization’s success
- Strong understanding of usability, information design, hierarchical analysis, architecture design
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website, www.avenues.org. Please include a thoughtful cover letter in your application.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.