New York, New York
Upper Division (New York)
Position:Upper Division Chinese Teacher
Location: New York, NY
Start Date: October2020 (Immediate start)
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Teaching and learning through dual language immersion and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. Teams of English and Spanish or Chinese teachers share two classes of students, collaborating to nurture their students' social, emotional and academic growth. Teacher teams share responsibility for the curriculum and plan together daily. This intense collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
LANGUAGE LEARNING AT AVENUES
Our mission is to equip young people to understand and solve global-scale problems. This is the core of why we teach our students a second language. Because of that mission, language learning at Avenues has some distinguishing features. 1) Our curriculum is rooted in task-based learning and teaching. We use authentic language tasks to structure teaching and practice activities. 2) We have selected tasks and topics that are uniquely relevant to global-scale problems. That means less learning about clothes shopping and more learning for cultural understanding.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Develop and teach Chinese language curriculum that engages all learners
- Ensure students achieve key learning outcomes by adapting instruction to address individual student needs
- Build a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to value being at school and feel part of a rigorous but joyful learning community
- Collaborate intensively and daily with colleagues to continually improve student learning and school cultureDeeply connect with students and vigorously uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
WHAT YOU BRING
- Chinese teaching experience with a proven track record of student learning
- Full professional fluency in written and spoken Mandarin Chinese
- Deep knowledge of, and passion for, Chinese language and culture
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Deep dedication to learning and developing as an educator
- A strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/).
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Encontre seu futuro na Avenues: faça parte de uma equipe que está redefinindo a educação ao redor do mundo.
Explore as mais recentes descobertas sobre educação global nos nossos câmpus em três continentes.
Veja nosso diretório de contatos, incluindo o escritório central da Avenues e nossos câmpus globais.
Voltar ao topo