New York, New York | Upper Division (New York)
Position: World History Teacher, Upper Division (Grade 6) - Leave Replacement
Location: New York, NY
Start: Winter 2021/2022
Why Teach at Avenues?
There is no place quite like Avenues. We are a top-tier school in New York City that offers a truly global education, one that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Our faculty bring widely diverse experiences, but we are all committed to creating a unique educational experience together. We foster a culture of creativity, entrepreneurship, and deep collaboration. We teach and learn through challenging interdisciplinary projects. And we offer unparalleled possibilities for professional learning prospects around the globe.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration isn't a buzzword here--it's woven into everything we do. We have built substantial time to collaborate into our schedule. Teacher teams across multiple disciplines design learning experiences for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other, and seeking to improve.
What You’ll Do
World Course teachers guide students to become informed, skilled, and empathic agents of change. We introduce students to key civilizations, movements, and forces that have shaped our past, and we help them explore the great issues and challenges facing our local and global communities today. Through a range of approaches--including historical thinking skills, design thinking, and project-based work across multiple disciplines--we equip students with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to make a difference in the world.
More broadly, all teachers at Avenues:
- ensure students achieve key learning outcomes by targeting instruction to address individual student needs
- collaboratively plan discipline-based and interdisciplinary units and projects using backwards design frameworks, such as Understanding by Design
- co-construct with students a classroom environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our founding values of welcome, safety, and respect
- practice cultural competence in the classroom and workplace
- inspire trust and confidence among guardians and families through regular, proactive communication
- contribute to the broader community of our NYC campus and global network
What You’ll Bring
World Course teachers at Avenues bring all or most of the following:
- several years of teaching experience and an exemplary track record of student learning
- strong content knowledge in one or more of the following: world history, American history, social studies, and current events
- proficiency in backwards planning and lesson design frameworks, such as Understanding by Design
- experience with, or interest in, interdisciplinary, project-based teaching
- intellectual curiosity and the humility to reflect on, and continually grow in, your teaching practice
- commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion
- a strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Make sure to include a very thoughtful cover letter with your application explaining how you meet the criteria.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.