New York, New York, United States
Deans & College Counseling
Position: Dean of Students, Grades 6-9
Location: Avenues New York
Start date: July/August 2020
WHO ARE WE?
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
A Dean of Students, grades six through nine, is an advisor, a teacher, a listener and a primary support person who works with students and parents, both individually and in groups, on educational, social and emotional development needs, life skills, course planning and problem solving. Students are assigned to a Dean upon entering 6thgrade and remain with that Dean until the end of 9th grade. This ensures continuity of services, offers stability during the transition from a middle level program to an upper level program and enables Deans to establish on-going personal relationships that best address the developmental needs of students. A dean works with an entire grade level of students and moves with those students from grade 6 to grade 9. Deans and teachers work together closely to make the secondary experience a rewarding one for each student. As a 6-9 Dean, you will:
grade. This ensures continuity of services, offers stability during the transition from a middle level program to an upper level program and enables Deans to establish on-going personal relationships that best address the developmental needs of students. A dean works with an entire grade level of students and moves with those students from grade 6 to grade 9. Deans and teachers work together closely to make the secondary experience a rewarding one for each student. As a 6-9 Dean, you will:
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Nurture students' growth and development
- Advise and guide a total of 100-120 students and their families in grades 6-9 each year. Your students will feel known and well supported; their families will rave about you.
- Teach, and help develop, a socio-emotional learning curriculum
- Develop strong, ongoing relationships with parents and students
- Monitor and guide students' academic progress and social and emotional well-being
- Uphold high standards of personal conduct by students, including addressing disciplinary infractions
- Be the primary point of contact for parents and colleagues about individual students
- Lead daytime and/or evening programs for parents and students on special topics
Be a leader
- Partner with faculty, associate division heads, and members of the student success team to build strong communities of students
- Develop plans to support students' success in school, and follow through with colleagues and families to ensure student needs are met
- Be relentlessly resourceful and highly collaborative, guiding colleagues on how to best support each individual student's success, growth and happiness
Join a dynamic, collaborative team
- Enthusiastically contribute to a dean team dedicated to all Avenues students' wellbeing
- Be a relentlessly resourceful and collaborative colleague, partnering with faculty, student support, division leaders, and families on students' success, growth and happiness
WHAT YOU BRING
If this role is for you, you'll read what's below and feel, "that's me!"
- You have experience working with middle grades students in classrooms or other contexts
- You love and respect teenagers. You feel deeply passionate about supporting them to learn, grow and thrive as people
- You bring strong experience with advisory and socio-emotional development curriculum
- You can build deep relationships with high school students and their families, as strong partnerships with families are key to student success
- You are a committed collaborator, who works enthusiastically with other adults in supporting student success
- You have the eye to identify opportunities to support students, take action and mobilize resources on their behalf
- You communicate in lucid, compelling ways with a high level of accountability and responsiveness
- You navigate difficult conversations with grace and empathy
- You effectively handle multiple priorities in a fast-moving environment
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Find out more
Find your future at Avenues: join the growing team that’s redefining K-12 education around the world.
Explore timely insights into global education from our campuses on three continents.
View our directory of contacts, including Avenues’ headquarters and our global campuses.
back to top