New York, New York | Upper Division (New York)
Position: Spanish Teacher, Upper Division (Grades 6-12) - Leave Replacement
Location: New York, NY
Start: February 2
Why Teach at Avenues?
There is no place quite like Avenues. We are a top-tier school in New York City that offers a truly global education, one that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Our faculty bring widely diverse experiences, but we are all committed to creating a unique educational experience together. We foster a culture of creativity, entrepreneurship, and deep collaboration. We teach and learn through challenging interdisciplinary projects. And we offer unparalleled possibilities for professional learning prospects around the globe.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration isn't a buzzword here--it's woven into everything we do. We have built substantial time to collaborate into our schedule. Teacher teams across multiple disciplines design learning experiences for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other, and seeking to improve.
What You’ll Do
At Avenues, learning another language is more than an academic pursuit; it is a practice that transforms the way students see and think about the world. We develop our own inquiry-based curriculum that helps students learn within and through their target language. As a result, our students develop their second-language skills through vibrant classroom discussions, engaging and authentic projects, cultural and international exchanges, and frequent real-world language use. Spanish teachers also collaborate not only with each other, but also with colleagues in other disciplines to design both complementary and integrated learning experiences.
More broadly, all teachers at Avenues:
- ensure students achieve key learning outcomes by targeting instruction to address individual student needs
- co-construct with students a classroom environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our founding values of welcome, safety, and respect
- practice cultural competence in the classroom and workplace
- inspire trust and confidence with guardians and families through regular, proactive communication
- contribute to the broader community of our NYC campus and global network
What You’ll Bring
Avenues Spanish teachers bring all or most of the following:
- several years of teaching experience in middle school Spanish and an exemplary track record of student learning
- deep knowledge of, and passion for, the Spanish language and Latinx history and culture
- expertise in task-based instruction for communication and project-based language learning
- familiarity with a range of summative and formative assessment approaches
- native, or near-native, proficiency in Spanish
- proficiency in backwards planning and lesson design frameworks, such as Understanding by Design
- experience with, or interest in, interdisciplinary, project-based L2 teaching
- commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion
- a strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Make sure to include a very thoughtful cover letter with your application explaining how you meet the criteria.
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.