Math/Advanced Math Teacher, Grades 6-12, Avenues Online, (China Standard Time)
Online (any location) | Avenues Online
Position: Math/Advanced Math Teacher, 6-12
Location: Avenues Online (fully remote; ability to work approximately 8am to 5pm China Standard Time)
Start Date: ASAP
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining a global curriculum based on language immersion and interdisciplinary learning with a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Available anywhere in the world with a wifi connection, Avenues Online was intentionally designed to foster deep, innovative learning with maximum flexibility. With its interdisciplinary, project-based curriculum especially written for both synchronous and asynchronous learning, its own proprietary learning platform, and an outstanding, collaborative global faculty, Avenues Online is establishing a new standard in online education. Our students reside in over 20 countries and bring their diverse cultural and geographic context and global mobility to their learning each day. From early childhood through 12th grade, our students learn online in order to be offline, applying their learning to their local contexts throughout the world. As at every Avenues campus, students are challenged to take ownership of their learning from a young age and to develop the critical and creative thinking skills necessary to understand and solve global-scale problems.
Math teachers at Avenues ensure that students act as mathematicians every day. In grades 6-12, Avenues embraces a problem-based mathematics pedagogy and curriculum. Students complete a weekly math notebook through which they attempt solutions, ask questions, receive feedback, iterate, and reflect on mistakes to gradually master mathematical concepts. Teachers facilitate discourse during lab sessions and tutorials; they inspire students to develop a deeper understanding of the mathematics and a mathematical voice of their own.
What You Will Do
- You will serve as lead instructor for ~20 current Upper Division students (grades 6-12) located in time zones across Asia; additional students may join over the course of the academic year
- Ensure students achieve key learning outcomes of problem-based, integrated math curriculum
- Lead one-on-one tutoring sessions and coach/facilitate collaborative lab sessions; provide asynchronous feedback, primarily via our digital math notebooks
- Utilize all resources available to encourage the success of each student by considering engagement with the coursework, quality of contribution in lab sessions, preparation of individual work
- Co-construct with students an environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our values of welcome, safety, and respect
- Collaborate with other faculty and deans; practice cultural competence in both student and adult spaces
- Inspire trust and confidence among families through regular, proactive communication
- Contribute to the broader community of our Avenues Online campus and global network; participate in ongoing professional learning within AON community
Who are you?
- You must be available to lead synchronous sessions with students Monday - Thursday during regular working hours in China Standard Time (we are open to part-time interest as well!)
- You have several years of math teaching experience and a track record of student learning
- You possess strong content knowledge, with at least a bachelor's or equivalent study in mathematics
- You have a commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion
- You have a strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
- You have experience using technology as a tool to communicate and collaborate with colleagues and enhance instruction; proficiency with delivering instruction via multiple platforms required (Examples: Google Suite, Apple operating systems, Zoom)
What We Offer
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple campuses around the world and the thrill of a start-up, all within an organization with global resources and supports, and a proven track record of results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric online learning platform in a highly collaborative environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning six continents
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website, www.avenues.org. Please include a thoughtful cover letter in your application.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.