Shenzhen, China | Secondary Division (Shenzhen)
Position: STEAM Expert
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: August 2022
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, project-based, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
In 2018, we launched our Shenzhen campus, bringing our popular early childhood program from New York to China’s southern hub of innovation. Today, we are thrilled to have expanded our campus to serve students from two to 18 years of age.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
The Avenues Shenzhen learning experience is divided into three year-long themes that embody the paradigms, tensions, and values at the heart of innovation and making: Origins of Discovery (Grade 10), Roads to Innovation (Grade 11), and Building the Future (Grade 12). Each unit of study thoughtfully matches the construction of a significant invention with the study of carefully selected texts.
As an Upper Grades STEAM Expert you will help establish a new model of high school education with innovation and making at its core by mentoring, guiding, and providing feedback as students create, build, and invent.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Support students to build a range of work products which have included mechanical clocks, telegraphs, bridges, and smartphones.
- Manage equipment, materials, and maintenance for a state-of-the-art maker space.
- Support leading discussions on innovation studies and science fiction.
- Work with a talented, multidisciplinary team to connect questions and challenges at the heart of making with the history and future of innovation and science.
- Build a supportive, collaborative, and respectful learning atmosphere.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
You bring all or most of the following:
- A drive to create things from scratch, work from a blank slate, overcome challenges, and adapt to ambiguity.
- Strong background in design, technology, and engineering as well as the associated tools and software.
- Intellectual curiosity and humility to reflect on and continually grow in creating a transformational experience for students.
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute in a multicultural team, and achieve goals together.
- Professional fluency in English. Mandarin Chinese is a plus.
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.