San Jose, California | Operations, Finance & Strategy
Director of Operations and Administration
Avenues Silicon Valley
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Silicon Valley
Avenues plans to open its Silicon Valley campus in San Jose for the 2023 academic year, serving students from nursery through 9th grade. As the newest campus of Avenues, Avenues Silicon Valley will be the first global school in the Bay Area, providing students with transformative, world-focused learning experiences in a state-of-the-art educational facility.
Avenues is excited to share this opportunity for a dynamic leader to join us as the Director of Operations and Administration. The senior leader in this role ensures that Avenues Silicon Valley is an environment where world class teaching and learning flourishes, and where families, students and colleagues have an outstanding experience. S/he is responsible for all operational, financial and regulatory aspects of the campus and manages all key service providers.
A true senior executive, this leader nurtures a staff culture that is deeply focused on high quality service and operational excellence. This role will build world-class teams, systems and culture as we grow from a micro opening in 2022, through the full opening in 2023, and onward to the campus's full size over the next decade, in a large-scale, premium campus facility located in downtown San Jose. The Director of Operations and Administration is responsible, along with the rest of the campus leadership team, for Avenues Silicon Valley's overall success and accomplishing its ambitious goals, and is also a member of the global operations leadership team of Avenues: The World School.
- Build and nurture a staff culture that is relentlessly focused on high quality service, improving the experience of students, families and colleagues and developing their own professional skills.
- Ensure a high-performing team across all operational areas of the school including facilities, operations, security, food service and other areas.
- Ensure the campus is fully operational at the beginning of the school year and that all needs are met throughout the school year.
- Maintain thorough compliance with all applicable governmental and accreditor regulations.
- Ensure that extensions programs, such as after school and summer programs, meet parent satisfaction and financial objectives.
- Maintain best-in class security and safety practices while ensuring that all members of the community are warmly welcomed on campus.
- Maintain the Silicon Valley campus in line with Avenues’ world-class brand standards
- Deliver campus expansion and summer construction in a quality manner, such that the campus is ready to welcome faculty back to a finished school each year.
- Lead the campus's financial stewardship, managing resources to prioritize the highest value activities and meet budgets.
Campus and Global Leadership
- Participate as an active member of the senior campus leadership team, which shares collective responsibility for the campus' overall success.
- As a global leader, align with, shape and implement org-wide Avenues priorities around operational excellence, stakeholder experience, and other relevant areas.
- Enthusiastically tackle the innumerable responsibilities and challenges that come with building a new top-tier school.
- 10+ years of professional experience, with 5+ in operations and/or school leadership
- A keen analytical, problem-solving approach, including in ambiguous situations that require figuring out new solutions rather than taking predetermined paths to success
- Ability to lead effectively through relationships, persuasion and influence
- Track record of both developing strategies to meet goals and executing effectively on that strategy; great planner with excellent follow through
- Track record of building effective teams and managing them to results
- Sense of deep personal responsibility for the organization's success
- Passion for education; experience in international and/or independent schools is a plus
- Experience managing the finances of a school, organization or business is an asset
Learn more about Avenues on our website (www.avenues.org/sv) and LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/company/avenues-the-world-school/).
For an exploratory initial conversation, or to recommend someone for this role, contact Diego Merino, global director of recruitment, at firstname.lastname@example.org. All communications will be kept in strict confidence.
Diversity, Inclusion and Safeguarding
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.