World Teacher (Humanities) , Grade 10 -12
Shenzhen, China | Secondary Division (Shenzhen)
Position: World Teacher (Grades 10-12)
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: August 2023
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
In 2018, we launched our Shenzhen campus, bringing our popular early childhood program from New York to China’s southern hub of innovation. Today, we are thrilled to have expanded our campus to serve students from two to 18 years of age.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
The Avenues Shenzhen Upper Grades learning experience is divided into three year-long themes that embody the paradigms, tensions, and values at the heart of the human experience: Otherness (Grade 10), Paradigms (Grade 11), and The Human Condition (Grade 12).
As an Upper Grades World Teacher you will help establish a new model of high school education with project-based learning and exchange at its core by mentoring, guiding, and providing feedback as students create, build, and discuss solutions to real-world problems. Rather than the typical fragmented experience of high school with traditional class schedules, room assignments, and disciplinary silos, you will help to develop students' essential skills and knowledge through interdisciplinary projects, reading, and discussions.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Support the development of essential academic and humanities skills through interdisciplinary projects and readings
- Facilitate discussions and student-led exchange on engaging literacy and social science ideas, problems and texts
- Collaborate intensively with colleagues to design learning outcomes, monitor growth, and thoughtfully address individual student needs, particularly those related to English language learning
- Deeply connect with students, colleagues and parents to uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Invoke a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to value being at school and feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families through ongoing proactive communication
- Participate actively in ongoing, intensive professional learning
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
You bring all or most of the following:
- At least 3 years of experience teaching in a field related to humanities or the social sciences
- Strong content knowledge in humanities and/or social sciences, with a bachelor's or equivalent study; graduate degree in related field preferred
- Passion for creating and facilitating powerful, interdisciplinary student learning experiences to achieve ambitious learning outcomes
- Intellectual curiosity and humility to reflect on and continually grow in creating a transformational experience for students
- Highly effective collaboration skills - eager to listen deeply, contribute in a multicultural team and achieve goals together
- Dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- Professional fluency in English; Mandarin Chinese is a plus
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.