São Paulo, Brazil | Secondary Division (São Paulo)
Position: Interdisciplinary Project Teacher (with English Literacy Expertise), Grades 9-12
Location: São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Start Date: January, 2022
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. At Avenues, no one teaches on an island. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Avenues uses an inquiry based, interdisciplinary, project-based pedagogy and curriculum, providing multidisciplinary instruction in reading, writing, history/culture, science and social-emotional skills. Teachers foster student growth in a myriad of ways through personalization, inquiry, problem- based, challenges-base, project-based exploration, hands-on application, problem-solving and critical thinking. The classroom community cultivates a compassionate learning environment where students are equal and engaged in authentic learning experiences.
You will also:
- Engage productively in interdisciplinary translation and synthesis, as part of a multidisciplinary team in order to develop deeper understanding of concepts
- Exhibit experience with the development of student project management, organizational, and research skills necessary to conduct inquiry, problem, project or even phenomena based interdisciplinary learning
- Build a learning atmosphere that leads students to feel part of a rigorous but joyful learning community
- Collaborate intensively with colleagues to continually deepen student learning
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
WHAT YOU BRING
An Interdisciplinary teacher at Avenues brings all or most of the following:
- Facilitates and designs effective group work
- Fosters student growth through semi-annual Student-Led Conferences (SLC) and presentations of learning
- Scaffolds instructional activities that facilitate engaging and appropriate learning opportunities
- Differentiates instruction based on feedback, needs, and learning levels
- Provides opportunities for student engagement through “voice and choice”
- Creates relevant and authentic learning experiences
- Designs formal and informal assessments that measure student progress
- Professional fluency in English, with experience teaching literature, writing, reading, and oral communication to English Language Learners
- A strong ability to develop upper grades students into passionate, curious and skillful readers, writers, and communicators in English
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Please read first about Avenues: The World School and our distinctive approach, and consider whether our mission and approach would be a good fit for you: www.avenues.org/sp.
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/). Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why this role at Avenues São Paulo would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is neither a local school, nor an international school - we are a world school. We value and are respectful of the diversity of languages, race, gender and culture which is reflected amongst our staff. Our hiring reflects action for equal opportunity for all while appreciating that local context influences our focus for greater representation of racial diversity on our campus. We aim to interconnect different views and voices as we develop students to be world wise leaders.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.