San Jose, California, United States
Upper Division (Silicon Valley)
Position: Art Teacher, Upper Division - Grades 6-9
Location: San Jose, CA
Start Date: July 2021
About Avenues Silicon Valley
Avenues | The World Schoolprepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues plans to open its Silicon Valley campus in San Jose for the 2021/22 academic year, serving students from nursery through 9th grade. As the newest campus of Avenues, Avenues Silicon Valley is slated to be the first global school in the Bay Area, providing students with transformative, world-focused learning experiences in a state-of-the-art educational facility.
Avenues Silicon Valley is seeking a creative, curious and adaptive art teacher in our Upper Division.
We consider every student to be an artist capable of making creative connections between a wide variety of art forms and their academic disciplines. Divergent thinking, perseverance and problem solving are woven into the arts curriculum to support students as they stretch themselves, expanding their understanding of who they are and what is possible. This is an extraordinary opportunity for talented and experienced teaching artists to build an exciting, comprehensive program of study in the arts.
Who Are You?
- You have a deep well of experience teaching the arts
- You believe in developmentally appropriate, experiential curriculumthat reaches a variety of skill and maturational levels, and you are passionate about teaching art
- You’re excited by the prospect of rapid innovation and iteration. You’re resourceful and adaptive, You’re eager to embrace change
- You’re a great listener who inspires trust, and who builds and maintains relationships across lines of difference
- You have a track record of highly effective collaboration with partner teachers. You listen deeply, ask great questions, and seek to understand when someone disagrees with you
- You’re committed to working with students of varying levels of interest and ability
What You Will Do
Art and design are an intrinsic part of an integrated curriculum, and our visual art teachers work closely with faculty from the disciplines ofscience and mathematics to humanities and languages to develop project-based experiences for students that allow them to think and behave like artists, no matter their field. As an Avenues art teacher you will:
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes in the arts, targeting instruction thoughtfully to address diverse individual needs
- Grow the art and design program over time, working closely with division leaders and other Avenues arts teachers
- Collaborate intensively with colleagues both inside the classroom and during extensive co-planning time to refine curriculum and develop interdisciplinary projects
- Build a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to feel part of a rigorous but joyful learning community
- Use state-of-the-art information technology to support students and provide them access to the full resources of knowledge available online
What We Offer
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple campuses around the world, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up and a green field to build things from scratch, all within an organization with global resources and supports, and a proven track record of results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
- Knowledge of contemporary art practice and contemporary art world
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas and experience or strong interest in others:
- Traditional life drawing skills
- Painting and printmaking skills
- Graphic Design skills
- Digital Media (Photography, animation, web design)
- Plaster and mold-making, clay and woodworking skills
- Experience using technology as a tool to communicate and collaborate with colleagues and enhance instruction; proficiency with delivering instruction via multiple platforms required (Examples: Google Suite, Apple operating systems, SMART technologies)
- Graduate degree in education, teaching or a related field preferred
Use the link below to apply and learn more about Avenues on our website (www.avenues.org).
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Find out more
Find your future at Avenues: join the growing team that’s redefining K-12 education around the world.
Explore timely insights into global education from our campuses on three continents.
View our directory of contacts, including Avenues’ headquarters and our global campuses.
back to top