São Paulo, Brazil | Secondary Division (São Paulo)
Position: Mathematics Teacher, Middle Grades
Location: São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Start: July 2022
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues is a World School offering a truly global education. We started in New York City six years ago, opened in São Paulo in August 2018, in Shenzhen China in 2019, and will be expanding to other of the world’s leading cities in the years ahead. We believe in teaching and learning through language immersion in English and challenging interdisciplinary projects. We create a culture of creativity, and deep collaboration, and utilize state-of-the-art technology throughout. We hire brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, and together we create a unique educational experience. We provide unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. At Avenues, no one teaches on an island. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
WHAT YOU DO
Math teachers at Avenues ensure that students act as mathematicians every day. At the heart of mathematics learning is student discourse, which is still being developed in sixth and seventh grade. Through inquiry activities, group problem sets, discovery work, projects and other engaging activities, students learn to speak and communicate mathematically while building understanding and skills that prepare them for higher level study. As a math teacher at Avenues, you will:
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes, targeting instruction to address individual needs
- Build a learning atmosphere that leads students to feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community
- Collaborate intensively with colleagues to continually deepen student learning
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
WHAT YOU BRING
Math teachers at Avenues bring all or most of the following:
- A remarkable entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition
- Intellectual curiosity and humility, to reflect, welcome feedback, and continually grow in teaching practice
- Strong content knowledge: at minimum, a bachelor's degree or equivalent study in mathematics
- Pedagogy that engages all students in interesting, meaningful and challenging work
- A strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
- Some past teaching experience preferred, with strong evidence of student learning
WHAT YOU RECEIVE
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities, like a well-defined career pathway and chances to teach abroad
- The thrill of a start-up, in an organization with a proven track record of results
- Frequent feedback and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- The chance to impact education by demonstrating what's possible
- Competitive compensation and greater rewards for growing your impact
- A beautiful and uplifting school environment
Please read first about Avenues: The World School and our distinctive approach, and consider whether our mission and approach would be a good fit for you: www.avenues.org/sp.
Please apply with your resume in english through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/). Be sure to include a video in your application, in which you thoughtfully explain why this role at Avenues São Paulo would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is neither a local school, nor an international school - we are a world school. We value and are respectful of the diversity of languages, race, gender and culture which is reflected amongst our staff. Our hiring reflects action for equal opportunity for all while appreciating that local context influences our focus for greater representation of racial diversity on our campus. We aim to interconnect different views and voices as we develop students to be world wise leaders. In your resume you may choose to declare your race, gender or any other identity that represents yourself if you wish.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.