Position: Program Instructor for Innovation and Making
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start date: Summer 2020
Reports to: Director of Program Design
Avenues is on a mission: changing the world through education. This is more than a platitude for us. With interconnected campuses under development in leading cities around the world, Avenues is uniquely positioned to develop world-wise leaders equipped to face and solve the future's complex global challenges.
MASTERY ACADEMY for INNOVATION and MAKING
The Avenues Mastery Academy for Innovation and Making is a selective high school summer program where innovation-minded students share an intensive, month-long boarding experience to dive deep into all aspects of technology in the world’s electronics nexus: Shenzhen. The Academy places students in an academic apprentice-learning model in which participants live and work side-by-side with master teachers and electronics hardware experts.
The Mastery Academy brings together exceptionally motivated students from around the world to collaborate across cultures on ambitious projects. This year, students will go to Shenzhen to build personalized smartphones from parts in the Huaqiangbei electronics market. While pursuing this goal, they will develop life-long friendships and an understanding of how to solve complex problems with technology. As a Program Instructor, you will take on residential life and teaching responsibilities to help create a transformational experience with innovation and making at its core, largely free from the constraints of traditional class schedules, room assignments, and disciplinary silos.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
As a Program Instructor, you will:
- Develop and teach a highly engaging, interdisciplinary curriculum that builds students’ skills according to established learning outcomes.
- Flexibly adapt the day and week schedules so that students can achieve key project milestones. Note that this may mean a few late nights.
- Collaborate closely with a team focused on students’ learning and well-being. This is a role with many hats.
- Take on residential life responsibilities so as to support high school students’ maturation, development, well-being, and safety.
- Build a warm, supportive, respectful learning atmosphere.
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
You bring all or most of the following:
- A remarkable entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition.
- Intellectual curiosity and humility to reflect on and continually grow in teaching practice.
- Strong knowledge and experience in electronics and maker spaces.
- Experience teaching high school students, with clear evidence of student learning and growth.
- Professional fluency in English. Mandarin Chinese is a plus.
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute in a multi-cultural team and achieve goals together.
Please read first about Avenues: The World School and our distinctive approach, and consider whether our mission and approach would be a good fit for you: www.avenues.org/ama.
Apply through the Careers section of our website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at the Avenues Mastery Academy would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.
Find out more
Find your future at Avenues: join the growing team that’s redefining K-12 education around the world.
back to top