New York, New York, United States
Lower Division (NYC)
Position: Spanish Teacher, Lower Division - Leave Replacement
Location: New York, NY
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Teaching and learning through dual language immersion and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
DEEP COLLABORATION THROUGH LANGUAGE IMMERSION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do given that our students in grades N-5 alternate their days between their English and Target Language classrooms.
- Teacher teams composed of English and Spanish teachers or English and Chinese teachers share two classes of students
- Teacher teams share responsibility for teaching curriculum that promotes their students’ social, emotional and academic growth in both languages.
- Given this structure teacher teams communicate daily to plan lessons and discuss student progress
- Additionally teachers collaborate with fellow grade-level and language colleagues during weekly meetings.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
This role is as a Spanish immersion classroom teacher in the Lower Division, grades 1-5. Head teacher and associate teacher roles may be available.
- Collaborate intensively and daily with colleagues to design learning outcomes, monitor growth, and thoughtfully address individual student needs.
- Design innovative curriculum that engages all learners in meaningful and challenging work that cultivates real-world problem solving skills and develops social responsibility
- Deeply connect with students, colleagues and parents to vigorously uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect.
- Invoke a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to deeply value being at school and feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community.
WHAT YOU BRING
- At least 2 years of teaching experience in grades 1-5 with a proven track record of student learning
- Full professional proficiency in Spanish
- Strong understanding of and instructional skills teaching through a balanced literacy approach in the reading and writing workshop model
- Experience with problem-based mathematics instruction
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Deep dedication to learning and growing as an educator
- Eager to embrace change and consider new perspectives
- Degree in education, teaching or a related field highly preferred
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Find out more
Find your future at Avenues: join the growing team that’s redefining K-12 education around the world.
back to top