New York, New York | Upper Division (New York)
Position: English Teacher, Upper Division (Grades 6-8)
Location: New York, NY
Start: Fall 2022
Why Teach at Avenues?
There is no place quite like Avenues. We are a top-tier school in New York City that offers a truly global education, one that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Our faculty bring widely diverse experiences, but we are all committed to creating a unique educational experience together. We foster a culture of creativity, entrepreneurship, and deep collaboration. We teach and learn through challenging interdisciplinary projects. And we offer unparalleled possibilities for professional learning prospects around the globe.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration isn't a buzzword here--it's woven into everything we do. We have built substantial time to collaborate into our schedule. Teacher teams across multiple disciplines design learning experiences for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other, and seeking to improve.
What You'll Do
English teachers at Avenues help students become skilled, passionate, and joyful readers and writers. In grades 6-8, we employ a range of instructional modes. We design mini-lessons to teach targeted, dynamic literacy strategies. We use student-led seminar discussions to foster skills of listening, speaking, and collaboration. And we run an independent reading program that cultivates, in Donalyn Miller’s words, “wild readers.” English teachers also work closely with teachers of visual art, science, and the World Course to design project-based, interdisciplinary learning experiences.
More broadly, all teachers at Avenues:
- ensure students achieve key learning outcomes by targeting instruction to address individual student needs
- collaboratively plan discipline-based and interdisciplinary units and projects using backwards design frameworks, such as Understanding by Design
- co-construct with students a classroom environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our founding values of welcome, safety, and respect
- practice cultural competence in the classroom and workplace
- inspire trust and confidence among guardians and families through regular, proactive communication
- contribute to the broader community of our NYC campus and global network
What You'll Bring
English teachers at Avenues bring all or most of the following:
- several years of teaching experience and an exemplary track record of student learning
- knowledge of a wide range of texts that offer representation of diverse voices and perspectives (i.e., both “window” and “mirror” texts)
- expertise in the teaching of listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- experience with multiple pedagogical methods, including the workshop model and independent reading programs
- proficiency in backwards planning and lesson design frameworks, such as Understanding by Design
- experience with, or interest in, interdisciplinary, project-based teaching
- intellectual curiosity and the humility to reflect on, and continually grow in, your teaching practice
- commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion
- a strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website, www.avenues.org. Please include a thoughtful cover letter in your application.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.